Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Making Memories

One of my favorite things is to design with a client's family heirlooms.  
Recently I had the privilege to take several items; a lapis choker necklace, a pair of earrings, and  Kazuri beads; and make them into a necklace. It is one that Marti will wear again and again.  
Now she has all her memories in one necklace.

In her words: 
"Last year I traveled to Kenya for a third time.  On previous trips I had seen 
locals and visitors wearing Kazuri ceramic beads.  In March I was able to spend the day touring the factory and talking with the bead workers.  Most are single 
mothers, supporting extended families of 20 plus people.  They are some of the most joyful people I have ever met.  A few women showed me how to paint certain beads, and giggled when I tried!  I went for the beads, but left as a friend and with a 
heart full of love and thankfulness.  Susan made me this necklace to remind me of 
these wonderful women." 
Kazuri bead information

A close-up view 
Marti in her necklace
 

No comments:

Post a Comment